Apply for Certification
Initial Certification Application
You may apply for this computer-based test year round and test during a 90-day window at a time and location convenient to you. The exam allows 3.5 hours to answer 175 questions (150 scored plus 25 pretest questions that are not scored). For exam prep resources, see the STUDY AIDS & CE left sidebar of this page. If you do not pass a certification exam, learn about retesting.
Step 1: Confirm Eligibility and Pricing
Have minimum of 3 years of disaster experience in the last 10 years in one or more of the professions listed below:
- Registered Nurse with a current, active RN license within a state or territory of the United States
- Physician with a current, active medicine (MD) or osteopathic medicine (OD) license in a state or territory of the United States
- APRN with a current, active RN and/or APRN license to practice as an APRN within a state or territory of the United States
- Physician Assistant with a current, active physician assistant license within a state or territory of the United States.
- Pharmacist with a current, active pharmacist license within a state or territory of the United States.
- Paramedic or Emergency Medical Technician with a current, active state or National Registry Emergency Medical Technician certification
- Respiratory Therapist with a current, active national registration.
- Behavioral Health Professional must be have current, active license to practice in one of the following graduate-level behavioral health professions:
- marriage and family therapy,
- social work
- Emergency Management Professionals must have organizational documentation of employment as an emergency management professional in a healthcare setting
- Public Health Profession must have organizational documentation of employment as a public health professional
Have within the last 24 months, have documentation of one of the following:
- participation in a disaster that required activation of an emergency operations plan
- completed one of the following disaster exercises:
Hold a certificate of completion in the following FEMA emergency management courses:
- IS-100.b: Introduction to Incident Command System, ICS 100,
- IS-200.b: ICS for Single Resource and Initial Action Incidents,
- IS-700.a: National Incident Management System (NIMS), An Introduction, and
- IS-800.b: National Response Framework, An Introduction
Step 2: Apply
To maintain certification, complete professional development requirements between the start and end dates of your certification, and provide this information on your renewal application.
Calendar Your Renewal Date
Certifications are renewed every 5 years. You may submit a renewal application up to 1 year prior to your expiration. You may be ineligible to practice beyond your expiration date.
Create an ANCC Account
Track professional development, mail preferences and purchases in one place. Online applications are also stored in your account. Visit Access My Account
Update Contact Information
If you move, change names or acquire a new phone or email, please update contact details in your account. Or email Customer Care or call 1.800.284.2378.
Display Your Credentials
Learn common questions and answers about displaying your credentials in the proper order.
Download How to Display Your Credentials .
Track Professional Development with ANCC
Online renewal is simpler when you store professional development activities in your ANCC account immediately upon completion. At renewal, you can transfer stored information to the renewal application, saving time. Note: To renew online, you must store professional development activities before starting the online renewal application.
- After each activity, gather proof of professional development.
- Click Track Professional Development to the right.
- Enter and save professional development activities.
- From account summary, top right column, under Professional Development find links to enter continuing education (contact hours), academic credits, presentations, publications/research, preceptorship and professional service.
- Log out.