What is the purpose of the Pathway to Excellence in Long Term Care survey?
The survey is an integral part of the assessment process for organizations that apply for Pathway
to Excellence in Long Term Care designation from the American Nurses Credentialing Center
(ANCC). Responses from the survey provide complementary information to the application
materials an organization submits by polling nurses and nursing staff from throughout the
organization about their perceptions of the workplace environment. return to top
What kinds of questions about the workplace environment does the survey ask?
The survey asks questions relevant to the presence of essential elements of a positive work
environment as defined by Pathway to Excellence in Long Term Care criteria.
It covers the following topics:
- Decision making about standards of care
- Input into staffing plans
- Use of current information for policies and procedures
- Nurses participate on safety committees
- Injury, illness, and accident prevention in place
- Personal health and supportive environment promoted
- Report concerns without negative consequences
- Preceptors educated to develop individualized orientation plans
- Timely feedback through orientation given
- Staffing patterns accommodate orientation
- DON visible and accessible
- Programs available to enhance advancement
- Participation in professional development activities
- Staffing patterns accommodate professional development activities
- Competitive wages
- Wages based on education, expertise, experience, and longevity
- Mandatory overtime never required
- Distinguished service recognized
- Recognition of contributions by external entities
- Flexible scheduling accommodates personal needs
- Programs and policies support work-life balance
- Fosters interdisciplinary relationships and practices
- Conflict is constructively managed
- Workplace issues addressed using non-retaliatory procedures
- Nurse managers advocate for residents and staff
- Nurses provide input for evaluation of nurse manager
- Direct care nurses involved in quality initiatives
- Outcomes from quality initiatives used to improve resident care return to top
How is my confidentiality protected if I participate in the survey?
The answers you provide in the Pathway to Excellence in Long Term Care Survey are
completely confidential. Your survey responses are submitted to ANCC through a secure web
site, and only authorized ANCC staff will have access to those responses. No one at your
organization can obtain access to your individual responses. return to top
How are the results reported to my organization?
Your responses will be combined with the responses of all the other nurses and nursing staff in
your organization to produce a summary report. The survey report your healthcare organization
receives will include only the total number of respondents who participated in the survey and a
summary of the average aggregate response for each item about the workplace environment. return to top
Why am I getting a blank screen after I answer question 1?
Question 1 is a mandatory field that cannot be skipped. You must enter only whole numbers in
order to proceed. return to top
Why am I getting a blank screen after I answer question 12?
If you're getting a blank screen after question 12, go back and make sure you entered only whole
numbers into questions 8 and 9. return to top
How do I know I have completed the survey?
You have only finished and submitted the survey when you are redirected to the following
message: 'ongratulations! You have successfully completed the Pathway to Excellence in
Long Term Care survey. You may now close the screen. Thank you for your participation.'
If you do not reach this screen, you have not completed the survey and your results have not
been collected. return to top
Can I go backwards in the survey to change my answers if I want to?
Yes, you may click the "back" button from any screen to return to previous screens. return to top
If I cannot finish the survey in one sitting, can I return to finish it at another time?
Yes, you may click the "Save" button at the bottom of any screen, and a URL will appear in the
address bar at the top of the computer screen. You must save this URL to return to the survey at
a later time, and it will take you back to where you left off. return to top
Who is eligible to take the survey?
All Registered Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses, and Nurse Aides, including full-time, part-time,
per diem or float pool, and contract or agency, must be invited to participate in the survey. return to top
How many nurses and nursing staff must take the survey for my organization's application
to be successful?
The minimum response rate required is for 60% of all eligible nurses and nursing staff to
participate in the survey. ANCC's survey administrator for the Pathway to Excellence in Long
Term Care program will give the organization a status report on the current participation rate
once a week for each of the three weeks that the survey remains open. return to top
What difference does it make whether I answer the survey or not?
The survey collects feedback from all nurses and nursing staff throughout your organization on
the degree to which they perceive essential elements of a positive workplace environment to be
present in the organization. It is your opportunity to share your feedback on your work
environment. return to top
If you have any questions about the Pathway to Excellence Nurse Survey, contact the ANCC's Pathway to Excellence program, at 301.628.5222 or email@example.com.