Apply for Certification
Initial Certification Application
DEADLINE EXTENSION NOTICE: ANCC will accept applications from individual nurses for the portfolio program until November 17, 2017. Due to online application platform availability, this date cannot be extended. Nurses are asked to submit their applications as soon as possible.
As of October 10, 2017, ANCC will not be accepting applications for submission to current Portfolio programs, nor will it explore developing new Portfolio products at this time.
The ANCC Portfolio program for board certification was launched in 2012 as a strategy to certify nurses in specialty areas of practice where an examination was deemed not feasible to develop or did not currently exist. While the Portfolio program has achieved some of its intended goals, applicant volumes have not reached a level whereby any of the programs have achieved financial stability. In addition, persistent low applicant volumes preclude ANCC from applying for external accreditation.
Therefore, the Commission on Certification (COC), in collaboration with ANCC program leadership, has decided to end the Portfolio program.
Those who are currently certified by portfolio will be able to maintain their certification by meeting ANCC’s certification renewal requirements. Those who have current applications under review will receive a certification decision by early December.
ANCC wishes to extend its sincere appreciation to all the volunteers who helped develop the individual Portfolio programs.
Step 1: Confirm Eligibility and Pricing
Step 2: Prepare Portfolio & Apply Online
The portfolio required for this certification is a collection of evidence, based on the criteria elements under each of the 4 domains described in the Portfolio Content Outline [pdf] and Eligibility Criteria, which documents your specialized knowledge, skills, understanding, and application of professional nursing practice and theory. Portfolios are submitted online and peer-reviewed by a team of experts in this specialty who objectively base their score evaluations on these same criteria. Use both to prepare your portfolio. Adherence to the Portfolio Content Outline is strongly encouraged. Initiate the online application once your portfolio evidence is aligned with criteria described in the Portfolio Content Outline [pdf] (Temporarily Unavailable).
- Read Eligibility Criteria for how to qualify.
- Download and study the Portfolio Content Outline [pdf].
- Download and follow the Portfolio Preparation Tips [pdf].
- For overview information, review the Application Requirements for Certification Through Portfolio [pdf].
- Gather required evidence before applying online. Required evidence includes:
With your required evidence at hand, click Apply Online at right and follow the online instructions.
- Record of professional development activities, including CEs earned within the last 3 years
- Exemplar (narrative addressing criteria outlined in the Portfolio Content Outline [pdf])
- Performance evaluations (1 self-evaluation plus 1 supervisor- or peer-evaluation)
To maintain certification, complete professional development requirements between the start and end dates of your certification, and provide this information on your renewal application.
Calendar Your Renewal Date
Certifications are renewed every 5 years. You may submit a renewal application up to 1 year prior to your expiration. You may be ineligible to practice beyond your expiration date.
Create an ANCC Account
Track professional development, mail preferences and purchases in one place. Online applications are also stored in your account. Visit Access My Account
Update Contact Information
If you move, change names or acquire a new phone or email, please update contact details in your account. Or email Customer Care or call 1.800.284.2378.
Display Your Credentials
Learn common questions and answers about displaying your credentials in the proper order.
Download How to Display Your Credentials .
Track Professional Development with ANCC
Online renewal is simpler when you store professional development activities in your ANCC account immediately upon completion. At renewal, you can transfer stored information to the renewal application, saving time. Note: To renew online, you must store professional development activities before starting the online renewal application.
- After each activity, gather proof of professional development.
- Click Track Professional Development to the right.
- Enter and save professional development activities.
- From account summary, top right column, under Professional Development find links to enter continuing education (contact hours), academic credits, presentations, publications/research, preceptorship and professional service.
- Log out.
Renewal Certification Application
Step 1: Review Requirements, FAQs, and Pricing
Pricing & Discounts
|American Nurses Association members* pay as low as
|Health Ministries Association member
*Separate membership discounts apply.
- Prices above include $140 non-refundable administrative fee. Additional fees for special services may apply. See application for details.
- Reapplication fee: $400
- Discounts may be claimed for up to 5 business days after ANCC receives your application. Discount claims received after this time will not be honored and refunds will not be issued.
Step 2: Renew Online